About Me

My photo
A young man seeking after the Lord's will for my life. I am a believer in the One True God (John 14:6). A current student in college excited to be transferred to a Christian school to major in Youth Ministries!!! Yeah I believe the Lord is leading me to His ministry!!!

Friday, April 1, 2011

Modesty

Hey Baseball season is finally back...  is this the year for my Cubbies??? Eh who knows, I am not one of those "This is the year" people anyways!!!

I have a question and maybe a suggestion for you women out there.  I was thinking about all the cases of rape, sexual abuse and everything of that sort.  I know the main problem is sin, the Bible makes that clear, but I have always thought what can we as humans do to help get the cases of abuse and rape down...

So my question is question is this: Do you think that the numbers would go down if the women would stop wearing clothing that reveals cleavage?  Do you think that women should start dressing more modest and the numbers would maybe go down?

Ten bucks says that I would be barraged with women saying that it is the guys fault for looking and that they as women should be able to wear whatever they want.  It's the whole feminist movement that is really hurt the men these days telling us to be more feminine when in fact we are guys and we are masculine.  Guys are guys and girls are girls, there are many reasons God made us the way we are and there are reasons He made us with different mindsets and attributes.  But this world is really trying to change them!!!

So Modesty, wearing clothing that doesn't reveal anything and the skirts are actually, in my opinion, knee length.  My thought is this: What if you wonderful women out there did start wearing more modest clothing, what would happen?  Would the statistics go down?

I don't know but I do know that a guys mind won't be going to places it shouldn't be as quickly as it normally would from a girl wearing some skimpy outfit.

Really the whole point right here is how about a little modesty girls??? Especially the girls who are Christians!!!  Remember Romans 12:1-2, being set-apart!?!?

Also what would you say to God about your everyday outfits that reveal cleavage? I mean after all the Bible says that we are all going to have to answer to God, so you better start working on your perfect excuses or reasons to tell God why you wear and do what you wear and do!!!

I'd like to hear your comments!!!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jakob!!! Nice blogs... added it to my bookmarks! :) Here is my take...
    Women/girls do not ASK to be raped and abused. There are plenty of abusers out there that are just SICK and would commit offenses to females in turtle necks because they are just mentally SICK. There are also many females out there that dress the way they do because they are looking for LOVE. They of course are looking for love in all the wrong places but there are plenty of females that just do not know any better and believe that if they dress in this way, they can get a "man" to "love" them and then all will be right in the world. Same thing with some young unwed mothers. "I just need a baby to love."
    So I do not think that the rates will decrease enough to measure. I DO believe that females should dress more modest so that the minds of the men they come in contact with will not "wander where it shouldn't". Men are men... their minds will wonder regardless and we are women should not "help" that. Many men have wandering minds but would never act upon.
    -Kelly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Jakob. Used to be that uncovering one's ankle was perceived as immodest. In some cultures a woman's hair is her husband's pleasure-and no other man may see it! Many European beaches are topless...to the point where it is awkward if you actually wear a top! Midriffs are considered immodest by a culture that accepts bikinis, but considered the norm in other "more modest" cultures.
    Modesty is definitely an issue that could get a little better reputation. I have personally talked to young women about it!
    But in truth, as Kelly said, many of the young women who are "immodestly" dressed are to have your compassion rather than condemnation. Before slamming them for how they choose to dress consider the culture in which they live, consider it a commentary on their hearts. What is portrayed as beautiful? What is defined for them as worth? How have they been taught to determine their value?

    What ministry we can have when we care more for their hearts showing them how much they are loved and how much their Creator values them!

    I think our ministry is fueled purely by our love for people, our hearts caring for them as the Lord does. "Love is...", "God is love...", God abiding in me.

    As to your question...I feel it is more of a suggestion-To suggest that any women is even slightly responsible for any violence acted upon her is unjust and unkind.

    Consider a similar mindset: Would you suggest that a husband who beats his wife or a father who abuses his child is even remotely justified by the fact that his wife yelled at him, or that his child had done something wrong?

    Hope this leaves you with something to ponder. -Brit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for both your comments, (wishing I could get more from people!!!) Anyways I was thinking about the whole culture thing and that is key. But What I wanted to get across is not condemnation by any means and I would never actually suggest that she may be responsible for the violence that is acted upon a woman.

    I wanted to get people to question the culture that they are in and is it really acceptable, especially if the woman is a Christian. Thank you for the things to think about Brittany cause it allows me to get comments from, at least, two grown women!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great! Questioning our culture is the beginning to changing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jakob, I agree with what Kelly and Brittany said. They are two wise women! :) Modesty is such an interesting topic in our culture. Many of the clothes girls wear and are in stores are immodest, and so that is what is "accepted." As Brittany said, we (as believers, whether somewhat older women or guys) need to encourage those our age and younger to dress modestly because it is honoring to God and because it shows love to our fellow brothers in Christ. A year or two ago I did a survey on "current" topics that teen girls (churched and unchurched) face. Two of the questions were on modesty. I'll send you the results as some food for thought.

    ReplyDelete