About Me

My photo
A young man seeking after the Lord's will for my life. I am a believer in the One True God (John 14:6). A current student in college excited to be transferred to a Christian school to major in Youth Ministries!!! Yeah I believe the Lord is leading me to His ministry!!!

Monday, April 4, 2011

CCM

Last night was the coolest display of lightning I'd have ever seen.  What a great way to show Your Power God, Kudos!!!!

Any ways last semester I took an English class that was hellbent on writing papers, of course I really enjoyed that!!!  The research paper was the largest and the most stressful paper I've ever had to write.  I decided to write it about Contemporary Christian Music (CCM).  At that point in my life and still I really enjoyed seeking out the arguments for and against CCM because I have such broad musical interests.  If you have looked at or read my interests you will see that there are many different musical artists, both secular and Christian.

First for those who do not know, CCM, in my opinion, is taking Christian-based lyrics and putting them to rap, rock, metal, metalcore, screamo, punk, pop, etc. different kinds of music genres.  Personally I am very much for CCM because, for one reason, I have such a broad interest in so many different kind of music genres.

Second for those who do not know, traditionalists are those who oppose CCM, for the most part.  They think CCM supporters are pushing away the traditional hymns from the church.  Oh and did I mention that they think CCM is of the devil.  The present some good arguments and some rather ridiculous ones, both using Scripture passages.  Ephesians 5:19 and Colossians 3:16 are the two passages mainly used, both of which suggest "Speaking to one another in Psalms and hymns!"

However they only present half the verses, which is so convenient for them to leave out the other halves which say "singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord!" (Eph. 5:19), "Singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God!" (Col. 3:16).  They fail to mention that although they are both the verses they'll use to present their arguments against CCM.

A point that I am trying to make is this: The music and to a certain extent even the lyrical content of the song does not matter.  It is the attitude of the performer and the heart is something ONLY God can judge!  I'd like you all to take a look at Psalm 150.  It is very short but in it, the author talks about worship.  It is to be loud( clanging cymbals) with lots of instruments.

Do I think that churches should get rid of Hymns? By all means NO!!! I LOVE the traditional hymns, but I want people to understand that CCM is an alright form of worship!

My personal favorite argument is that the downbeats of 2 and 4 are satanic.  I'd like to see a Bible verse on that please!  They are sinful because those are the beats that the snare drum will normally be hit for a downbeat which is helpful for the other performers to count the beats in a measure!  Also solos are sinful because they put all the attention on the performer.  What if the performer is playing for their Lord God???!!!

I see that fellow believers judge what they cannot, the heart of other believers!!!  They judge the book by it's cover.  They accuse CCM being satanic because it is taking the genres of the secular world and putting Christian lyrics to the music.  If one knows their hymn history, they would know that a lot of the popular hymns we sing today once had secular music to it until the artist made the music we know it to be now!!!

Please understand that I am not out to get these people who oppose CCM.  I love my hymns and really enjoy singing them in church, but I want people to open up there eyes that God is who we want to worship and all the attention goes rightfully to Him!!!

I'd like to close with a quote.  "God gave Rock and Roll to you!!!" Gene Simmons

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE CCM.... you hit the nail on the head with this post! I totally agree. CCM has gotten me thru so much. Bad day... radio on... hear a song... reminded of God's love etc... badabing... better day!!! :) Rock on! <3 Kelly

    ReplyDelete